Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

My Valentine's Day gift to Clint. Flowers, candy, Emmets (he loves a dash in his coffee in the morning) and a handmade card. I decided to go traditional this year. I don't think I've ever given him candy before. I'm pretty sure I've given him flowers before, but he doesn't remember it. After he was asleep last night, I brought in the flowers and arranged them in the beautiful vase I got for Christmas, and left everything artfully arranged by the coffee machine, so he would see it all first thing in the morning, while I was still sleeping.

I gave each of the girls a heart shaped box of See's candy. I've never done that before; it felt decadent. I gave them roses, too, three peach roses each. I bought a dozen roses and arranged them in four vases after they went to bed last night, then made valentines to go with them. I was rushing, so they were quite uninspired. I love homemade valentines. Usually I put a lot of creative effort into valentines for the girls, but this year I just didn't get to it until the last minute.
My Valentine's Day booty...so far. Beautiful handmade cards from all the girls, a sweet card from Clint with the perfect sentiment, and a box of dark chocolate pecan turtles(my favorite, yum!) and chocolate covered strawberries from Clint. Last night he gave me the candy, saying it wouldn't keep until today.
Today is our anniversary. We probably wouldn't make such a thing of Valentine's Day otherwise. It makes sense to reaffirm our attachment to each other. It feels good to know I wouldn't have chosen any differently if I had it to do over again.
I don't have a "real" gift for him. I couldn't think of anything. I bought him a thermometer with lots of fancy settings on it, but I think I'm going to return it. It's kind of boring.
I don't think we're going to make it out on a date this year. The kids have been sick for days, plus they have dance class most evenings, and he leaves for Lake Mead on Saturday. So we'll celebrate with romantic traditional stuff, and it will be just right.

3 comments:

Katrina Gutleben said...

I'm so unimaginative when it comes to Valentine's day. Your post was inspiring. Too bad it's a whole year to the next V-Day! LOL

Unknown said...

Fun! H was gone so we went to dinner with C. There was live jazz music. It was great!

Melonary said...

Your Valentine's are lovely! My mom used to buy us a new t-shirt or socks on Valentine's Day.