Sunday, March 06, 2005

My Weekend

Gillian's birthday party went great. The girls made masks, opened presents, attempted somewhat unsuccessfully to play a few organized games while I cleaned up the mask project and got the cake ready, ate cake, and then played happily for 2 hours at I don't know what. The kids had a blast, I got to visit a bit with a friend, and in the end Gillian and Tamzin went home with someone else for a sleepover!

Shelby, Rhiannon and I decided to have a movie night for our unexpected evening alone together. We browsed the video store and chose two movies. Rhiannon fixed a simple dinner of baked potatoes with fixings while Shelby and I cleaned the fish tanks (In the midst of the party, my friend's 2 year old "fed" our aquarium fish with approximately 3/4 of a jar of fish food. Since fish will keep eating until they pop, we had to completely change out the water... all 45 gallons of it. He then proceeded to feed Gillian's new betta fish, so its bowl had to be changed as well.)

It was fun to stay up late watching movies with Shelby and Rhiannon . I usually don't watch movies with my kids. There's not enough couch space and too many interruptions. It makes me crazy. I would rather work. But hanging out with just the two of them was fun.

In the morning, we went back to the video store and rented more movies. Rhiannon decided she wanted to watch something suspenseful, something we could not do with the younger girls at home. So we rented Sixth Sense. We had lots of good conversation about suspenseful movies, scare scenes, and the supernatural. I'm glad we watched it in the morning, so they wouldn't have a hard time sleeping after. I think that kind of movie is best with a little time to think about it afterwards. We discussed horror movies as well. Several kids we know have expressed interest in horror movies. Shelby and Rhiannon decided they would rather not see horror films at this point, to my relief. I've just discovered that quite a few of those movies are rated PG-13, something I'm very puzzled about. How can they be so scary, but still be rated ok for teens?

Anyway, we had a lazy but fun weekend being couch potatoes.

No comments: