Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Picnic's Over

After working as a project superintendent for the last 6 months for a local general contractor, Clint has realized it doesn't pay enough to cover our expenses. So it's back to framing. He started a project ths week. That means my vacation is over. Now it's back to weekly payroll, billing, invoicing, tax payments, employee reporting, etc, etc, etc.

Just when my schedule was starting to get busy with kids' activities, too. Shelby's going to take an art class, plus she's volunteering at McNary, so it looks like I'll be running the kids to something 4 days a week, not counting play dates. Wait til Gillian and Tamzin figure out they deserve an activity, too.

Of course, after starting his project, Clint let his boss convince him that they just couldn't do without him. He agreed to stay on until things are a little more under control. It's pretty much win-win for us, since we will gain the profit from the framing project plus the weekly salary from the condo project. And, since he's going to continue the consulting under his license instead of as an hourly employee, he's going to charge more, so he'll be making what he should have been getting all along.

Only problem is, how long can a man work two intense jobs and really give it his all? It's been 10 days, and he's looking peaked. I think he's trying too hard. I wish he would just walk away from the condo project, but he feels honor bound to stay on until he drops.

All this means that I really shouldn't be asking for his help getting kids shuttled around or give him a hard time about the added burden of the business, because he has it way worse than me.

On the up side, I'm looking forward to having more than $35 in my bank account. I hope we get paid soon!

No comments: