Monday, January 09, 2006

What I Did This Weekend


I had an unfortunate run-in with a windstorm and my garage door on Saturday night. This is the same door whose claim to fame is shattering Gillian's thumb two years ago. This time, my finger was the casualty. A sudden fierce gust of wind slammed the door on the last three fingers of my right hand. It ripped the nail of my middle finger out--intact---, lacerated the nail bed beneath, and folded the tip of my finger back to expose the bone, which was crushed at the tip. Nice, huh?!

Did I mention we were in the middle of fighting a would-be chimney fire when all this occured? So I waited, finger in ice water, for Clint to get the chimney problem under control, called my brothrr over to watch the kids...and make sure the fire stayed out, and headed to emergency, a place I vowed never to return to. I had to face the fact that my finger would need a repair job beyond that of self care.

Kadlec did a great job, and they were very nice (my only other ER experience was at KGH...they were not nice). They removed the part of the nail that was still attached, and then reinserted it to act as a protector for my nail bed until it starts to heal. They sewed up my fingertip, and I was good to go. The doctor says I will lose the nail, it will take about a year to grow a new one in fully, and he can't say if it will grow normally...it may not. I'm just glad I've got my whole finger.

Today at my followup I got to see it agin. It's a little Frankensteinish, but I can live with it. The follow up Doc saw no signs of infection (they had expressed concern over the possibility of infection to the bone), so I'm happy.

I wanted to come home and get back to life as normal. I've got too much to do to be laying around. But the pain pills made me so nauseous I spent half the day in bed, and then when I feeling returned to my finger, the throbbing kept me from wanting to move much at all! Now, 48 hours after the injury, I'm able to do a little typing without too much discomfort. Yeah!!! I'm back on my blog!!!

4 comments:

Melonary said...

Yes, it does look Frankensteinish! I'm glad that it wasn't any worse.

Great to see you in Blog World again!

Unknown said...

It is pretty cool looking, I have to admit. Of course not cool enough to have one of my own. But cool all the same...

Katrina Gutleben said...

Ow. On the bright side you can unintentionally flip everyone off for a while! :) Do you ever wonder if the house is cursed? Isn't that the second recent chimney fire and the second man (er...woman) eating attempt by the door...

Stephanie said...

The doctor said it would be easy to flip everyone off for a while! They thought it was pretty funny. It's nice to have a little humor when someone's putting your damaged parts back together!!!