Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Laying Hardwood

Our latest remodel project is laying our wood floors (yipee!!) Not having flooring has been my primary excuse for not having a big housewarming bash. (something I'm hoping to do very soon!)

It took us forever to decide between hardwood and laminate flooring. Well, it took Clint forever to decide(He wanted tile, but he's not the one who has to stand on it for hours every day. No thank you!) I would LOVE hardwood, but voted for laminate because it's cheaper and easier to install. I figure I've used up my "honey-do"s for the next decade or so, and didn't have the heart to insist on something so pricey and TOUGH to do. But, in the end, my terrific hubby decided only the real thing would do, even if he has to work like a dog to install it.

So we've been installing hardwood for the last two weeks. It goes very slowly, since the boards are only 2 1/2 inches wide, and each one has to be pounded in with a mallet. I'm the assistant, in charge of laying paper, stocking boards, and keeping the area cleaned up. It's a wimpy job; I spend too much time standing around. I know Clint thinks I'm helping, since he doesn't have to deal with laying out the boards, but I'd feel more helpful if I could actually hammer the boards in. I did try, but apparently I'm just too weak! Clint thinks he's turning into Thor with all the slegdehammering he's doing driving those nails in.

Now if we can just finish and get a sealer on it before we spill something on it and ruin it forever. We're working on it about 3 hours each evening, but sometimes get bogged down on small but essential details. Last night it took Clint all evening to develop a plan for the grade change that will happen between the entry tiles and the wood floor. He cut, planed, and sanded a transitional piece that will work perfectly. Tonight we should be able to make huge progress now that this hurdle is behind us!

No comments: