Thursday, May 06, 2004

Girl Scout Cooking

Sometimes being a Girl Scout leader is a drag. Like when I'm overwhelmed and don't feel like I have time to deal with all the details. Other times, it's awesome!!!

Yesterday, we had a GREAT Girl Scout meeting. Rhiannon wanted to work on a cooking badge, I've been interested in teaching the girls about outdoor cooking, so we decided to combine the two ideas, and it came out great!

The girls had lots of fun creating no bake yogurt berry pies, complete with decorations. Then they went to town with all kinds of creative smoothie concoctions. I wasn't sure they would be interested in inventing their own egg recipes, or that they would want to eat anymore after the smoothies and pies, but they were game to give it a try!. Each girl came up with a unique idea for cooking an egg, and then they learned how to use a camp stove to cook their creations! I was most impressed that the girls were willing to light the stove, as it can be unsettling the first few times.

Sometimes I worry that our troop is too small, but having fewer kids made this a fun and intimate activity, with every child getting a chance to create something special.

No comments: