Saturday, May 08, 2004

Too much time?

Do I have too much time on my hands? Or am I avoiding accomplishing something substantial? After the incredible high of finishing the long incomplete office file purge, I went on to tidy up every drawer and shelf in the office.

Then, I started working up a project history spreadsheet and a master builder reference spreadsheet...on a whim. I figured it would come in handy to have this information at my fingertips, on one document, instead of searching through files now boxed in the garage for project or contractor information. (This is how I spent the day that my list was missing). Of course, now THIS project is incomplete, so I will have to add IT to my "to do" list.

Then yesterday, I cleaned my closet. My closet has become the new receptacle for things that have no home. My office used to serve this function, but with the files and drawers so clean, I didn't want to "defile" the space. My closet, on the other hand, is so huge I've been able to dump stuff in there for a while before even noticing that there was a large quantity of STUFF in there with no home. So, instead of painting doors, or sanding floors, or painting bathrooms, or cooking real meals, I cleaned my closet yesterday. I even went through all my little boxes of miscellaneous stuff and got rid of various strange things I have been saving over the years. Of course, it's not going to the good will. Now my kids have these items. For them, my closet is a Mecca of neat stuff. Glass pigs, empty perfume bottles(saved for scenting drawers), cool scarves and evening bags from my retail buyer days, miniature dishes from Mexico, dice, shells, dried roses, sachets... And I'm still saving some of it because I'm an incurable romantic and I love the nostalgic feeling I get from perusing the pieces of my former lives.

No comments: