Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Into the Woods

The girls and I were exiled to the cabin this weekend. Clint (and some hardwood floor guys he found to help him) sealed and finished the hardwood floor, and we were told we couldn't be here for a couple of days because of the toxic fumes.

Things were nice up in the woods. Very green, wet and rainy off and on, but not wet enough to keep us from taking walks and picking lupines. The girls gravitate to the creek, where they love rock hopping and exploring on the shore. Rhiannon was convinced that the opposite bank was much more attractive, and that we would have a much better time if only we could get to the other side. In mid-summer, you can cross the creek on rocks and logs, but right now the snow melt creates a raging torrent...not a good time to be attempting to cross the creek. Of course, she became so fixated on crossing the creek that she couldn't stop talking about it, and eventually made me grumpy! I wish I could trust them to be sensible, so I could just say "Go down to the creek and play". Instead, we all go together, so I can hover and warn them when they're getting too daring.

I was too worried about lunatics and robbers coming to get us, and was so careful about keeping the cabin locked tight at night that I locked us out of the cabin on one of our walks! I feel very secure now, knowing that the cabin is JUST ABOUT IMPOSSIBLE to break into! I was ready to break a window when the Ed, the guy who runs the little store, came and showed me how to take the hinges off the back door, and we were in. Very useful skill, that. I'm going to carry a hammer and screwdriver in my car from now on!

Meanwhile, back at home, Clint planned to sleep in the garage, but I convinced him that was silly whe my bother has a futon couch, so he went to my brothers and fell asleep sitting up on the couch because it was his bed for the night and the guys who were hanging out there that evening were all sitting on it! He spent the second night in his truck. Said he was more comfortable (it's like his home away from home, since he sleeps in his truck when he goes to tournaments).

Coming home was like Christmas morning. I walked in to see this incredibly beautiful floor, shiny, golden, and gleaming! We don't need to watch TV anymore. We like to just sit on the steps and admire the floor. It's corny, but it's so great to see such a beautiful result from all our(really Clint's) efforts. We'll get to enjoy looking at the floor a lot, since we have no furniture to put there anyway.

New rule of the house: No shoes in the house. Might as well preserve the floor as long as we can.

No comments: