Wednesday, May 19, 2004

The Recital

Shelby and Rhiannon had their Spring Piano Recital Monday evening. We got home from the cabin with just enough time to shower, primp and go. I'm glad they care enough about making a good impression to want to dress up for it. There were a few kids wearing their grubbiest jeans...Somehow it seems to diminish the significance of honoring their accomplishments if you treat it like any other day.

They were both great! I was so proud of them! It's so hard to get up in front of a bunch of people all by yourself to perform. I'm so impressed with their ability after just two seasons of lessons. They both got awards too, which i know is so exciting for them, although they later asked me to explain what Best Rookie and Most Improved really mean, prompting a whole conversation about who got awards, why, and why I'm not sure such rewards are even a good idea! After all, Shelby wasn't REALLY a rookie, and Rhiannon has progressed very steadily since starting lessons, and didn't REALLY experience a huge "improvement", but a steadily increasing level of ability. There were four awards for 25 kids. I think the teacher just wanted to recognize them. But even they say they probably won't get awards next year, because they think the teacher will want to recognize someone else. I think they're right.

I love listening to all the kids play their pieces. The young ones with their simple pieces, the experienced ones who play eight page songs, even the ones who struggle and make lots of mistakes...They all deserve credit for making the effort! Most of all, I'm thrilled that Shelby and Rhiannon chose music lessons on their own, and are sticking with it not because I make them, but because they want to (OK, I do remind them to practice, I admit it).

No comments: