Thursday, May 25, 2006

Owl Pellets & Dissection

I just got my order from Home Science Tools. We are back on track now for dissection with a new batch of specimens.

I ordered a How to Dissect manual this time, and spent the afternoon reading up on earthworm dissection details. I'm a little nervous about the earthworm dissection. I remember doing it in high school and finding it really boring, mostly because it was so small that it was hard to cut accurately, or to see what I was supposed to see. The manual gave lots of great info; let's hope the real thing will be as interesting to the kids. Of course, it's optional for them; they don't have to participate if they don't want to, so I suppose it could just be Shelby and I figuring the whole thing out.

I ordered a few owl pellets, too. Owls swallow their prey whole, and then regurgitate the bones, teeth and fur as a pellet. Owl pellet dissection is a great way to study the eating habits of birds of prey. It is also a great lesson in skeletal anatomy, since you can piece together and identify the entire skeleton of one or more small creatures.

I'm so glad we're finally getting around to some of these projects. We've been talking about dissection since last summer. I wish I could be a little quicker at responding to my kids' interests. With this kind of a track record, I'll be lucky if they even have the same interest by the time I get around to indulging it! I'll have to work on that.

3 comments:

Katrina Gutleben said...

Hey, at least you indulge them! I remember owl pellets well. Or as Mr.Staley called them Puke Wads. If I remember correctly we named the mouse in question Mortimer and wrote a song for him to the tune of 'On top of Spaghetti' LOL

Stephanie said...

You did lots of cool stuff in HS science, Katie. We did a worm and a frog. No pig, no pellets.

Katrina Gutleben said...

I took a lot of science. :) Biology, Advanced Biology, Anatomy, and Chemistry. I didn't like Chemistry though. LOL I think most of the cool dissections we did were in the higher more advanced classes.