Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sometimes Busy is OK

I hate being too busy. I try so hard to keep from overbooking myself. But sometimes, if you don't say yes, a wonderful opportunity might pass you by. If I were better at going with the flow I could make it through the busy times more peacefully. I get stressed when it's busy, I admit it.

Our Memorial Day weekend plans were relatively relaxed. A BBQ at a friend's house on Monday, and an optional dance rehearsal Saturday morning (that I figured we could easily miss). But after some discussion with my husband on the possibility of holding a garage sale Saturday morning or attending a neighborhood campout Friday, I discovered he was worried about and/or feeling the urge to check on things at the cabin.

I suggested we forget the garage sale, and take a trip to the cabin. As long as we left after the dance rehearsal(I was informed by by kids that they strongly preferred to go), and got home in time for Monday's BBQ, it could work. It's only a two day trip, but sometimes those are easier to do, since not so much packing or food planning is involved. He was hesitant to agree to the idea. I think he was worried I was scheduling things too tight, and when I get stressed my family can't bear to be around me. I can't promise that packing & preparing while taking kids back & forth to town for rehearsals won't be stressful. But our weekends are booked for the next 5 weeks, so there really isn't going to be a better time.

Once we get to the cabin, we'll be doing nothing but relaxing. Clint can check on all the things he was worried about, and make sure the cabin is ship-shape. We can do some hiking and exploring with the kids, maybe some biking on the back roads, and I can even sneak in some reading. It sounds pretty good to me!

I need to learn that sometimes busy is OK, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This summer is the summer of the snail at our house. It's so much more peaceful and less stress inducing.