Sunday, July 23, 2006

Birthday Tubing


Shelby's birthday is Tuesday. Instead of a party, she asked it we could all go tubing on the river. I feel a little gilty that we do this type of activity so infrequently that she chose this as a birthday activity instead of dinner out, or a movie, but still, it was a great choice.

I've been spending what little free time I have helping Rhiannon and Gillian with Fashion Revue, so I told Clint I was worried about putting everything together for a day on the river. He said he would be in charge.

I gotta say, having someone else take care of the details sure adds to the fun factor of an event for me! Clint decided we needed a new tube, did some comparison shopping, and brought home a giant thing that is designed to hold two (we found it could comfortably hold three while tubing, even more for just floating around). He prepped the coolers, the kids, blankets, chairs, umbrella, tarp, got the gas, blew up the float and planned the picnic foods (to be purchased at FM on the way to the boat launch).

All I did was grab the sunscreen and towels and put on my swimsuit. I was so relaxed and laid back. Clint was a little more bossy and serious. Maybe that's why I tend to be bossy and serious. It's a byproduct of being in charge.

We had an awesome time. The float was a blast and when we weren't "tubing" the kids loved exploring on the beach, wading and playing on the float.

I'd love to be like those families that go out on the river every weekend. After all, it's right there. But with fair and our camping trip around the corner, I guess we're lucky to have made it out at all. Thanks to Shelby!

4 comments:

Melonary said...

I love it when Pat takes care of things. /glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture. The girls look like they are having so much fun. Maybe you can let us know when you go out next. I would love to give that thing a whirl.

Sometimes for me its harder to let go of the control. I like to think I know how best to do things... Poor Craig. It sounds like you were able to let go and have fun, Clint was able to step up to the plate and everyone was happy.

Summer time when the livin is easy!

Unknown said...

Way to let him be in control. I'm so not willing to compromise a good time for him to plan it. He just doesn't think out the details very well.

Stephanie said...

I also have a hard time letting go of the control. I also tend to feel like he misses important stuff, like remembering the beer but forgetting swimsuits for the kids, or something. But this time, he came through with flying colors. Maybe he sensed that I really was leaving it all up to him, so he knew he couldn't fake it and say "oh, I thought you were taking care of that."