Sunday, July 23, 2006

Marathon

A few weeks ago, while out for my run, I was stopped by a couple of other runners who asked me if I am a marathon runner. I guess they've seen me out running before, and are training for the upcoming Portland Marathon. They encouraged me to give it a try.

At first, I didn't give it much thought. It was flattering to have someone ask me that (I don't know why). I'm just running because it's the cheapest, most efficient, and fastest calorie burning activity I know of, and I'm trying to get into shape!

I had been gradually lengthening my runs, mostly because I found it enjoyable enough that I didn't mind running a little longer, and hey, longer means more calories burned, right? But I never had any end in mind but fitness.

But for some reason those ladies stuck in my mind. I did a web search on marathon running, and even got a bunch of books from the library on the subject. I've found the reading fascinating, and have gotten some of my own running questions answered about how other people run.

So I started following a marathon training schedule a couple of weeks ago. I don't really know why. I figured I'd stick with it until the runs got so long they were either boring, or my feet hurt, or I just plain didn't like it. I'm sure I can't keep it up for long, because every year I run for about 6 months, and then life gets busy and I give it up.

But I've run 5 days a week instead of 3 for two weeks now, and today I ran 10 miles! I can hardly believe it myself. Last week my big day was 7 1/2. I had never gone farther than 5 1/2 miles before, and usually run 4-5. It took two hours, and my legs were feeling pretty heavy the last couple of miles.

I can't imagine going much farther than that. I was ready to be done by the time I saw my driveway again. It's been fun experimenting to see what my body can handle, but I don't think there's a marathon in my future. 26 miles is too far for me.

4 comments:

Melonary said...

Hey, I've run a couple of marathons! I think you should go for it. Go Stephanie!

Unknown said...

Running has never been my thing. I think it's the bosom thing. I've never met a person who likes to run who has large breasts.

You don't have to run the whole marathon and they usually do a half marathon along with a full length marathon.

Stephanie said...

If I were to try it, I would start out with a half marathon, although the one I was looking at does not offer a half marathon in conjunction with the full marathon. There is one locally, though.

Mary Ellen, you'll have to give me some tips, since you're experienced!

Anonymous said...

I ran a marathon, too. I was s-l-o-w, but I finished. I think you should do it! Sometimes I think about doing another one (I'd like to improve my time), but I'm not sure how my foot would handle it.