Monday, March 15, 2004

Blogs and Kids

I know several of us were surprised that my blogging kids were linking to my friend's blogs, and perhaps a little concerned about what they might be reading. As it turns out, only Shelby has had any interest in reading others' blogs. We discussed it, and I decided that I am comfortable with her doing so.

I do not expect others to censor their blogs, nor would I wish them too. I think if some of you would rather Shelby not read her blog, you should let her know; you can trust her to respect your wishes. She and I decided that if she reads a post that seems inappropriate or makes her uncomfortable, she should skip it. I feel that I must trust her to make her own decisions about what she is comfortable reading. She loves being able to blog, and I can't see anything wrong with her hearing the stories of others.

In my opinion, the content I have observed in the blogs I have been reading is always candid, sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes raunchy, sometimes clever and sometimes mildly inappropriate. I think my 9 year old would find it intensely boring. But for my almost 13 year old, perhaps it's a glimpse into a future she sees as not very far off.

It certainly isn't any more questionable than what kids are talking about in middle school. In fact, it's not unlike many of the conversations we have at home, where the kids may possibly be listening.

There are a few things I choose not to put in my own blog. Like not making nasty statements (well, not too nasty, anyway) about people I'm mad at because they may someday read my blog. Like not being too critical of my family because they may read my blog. Like not expressing just how mad I am at my husband sometimes because it makes me sound small and petty ( I wouldn't care if he read it, though!).

But I'm not planning to leave out sexual innuendo (if I ever post any), bad language, adult humor, or general griping and complaining about the happenings in my life. Because that's what makes blogging fun!

No comments: