Friday, March 05, 2004

Shelby the babysitter

Shelby has her first official babysitting job! Does this offically make me old, now that my daughter can babysit other people's kids? She's been watching her siblings when I have to run to the store or the health club for a while time now, but only recently started talking about the possibility of babysitting for others.

I'm so proud of her. I was talking with our 4H leader, who mentioned she had to work the next day and didn't even have a babysitter. Shelby politely piped up "Excuse me, but I can babysit for you!" Talk about taking advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself!

Jack is a sweet little 3 year old boy. He gets along well with Tamzin, and seemed to feel comfortable with Shelby right away. She was tired after her first 8 hour day of catering to his every need, but still wanted to babysit again the next day. Today she's learning to pace herself by letting him fnd his own activities sometimes instead of always participating, and by cleaning up finished activities when he's busy with something else.

I haven't had to do much more than make suggestions or offer encouragement when it seemed needed. It's great to see her succeeding in her new endeavor(but I am glad she has this first job here at home where I can observe!).

No comments: