Monday, March 15, 2004

Home Improvement or Why I haven't been Blogging Part 1

I convinced my husband that it's time to finish our remodel. We started building an addition last January, and planned to be done in 6 to 9 months. We got a long way, and it looks awesome, but progress ground to a halt in late fall when Clint had several out of state tournaments. Then, work and holidays were the priority, then snowmobiling season and a lengthy family vacation at the cabin...with one thing and another, it's been months now since we've worked on a single remodel project.

Don't get me wrong...It would be great to get out and enjoy the beautiful spring weather, go to the park and enjoy some family outings, but I just want to get this house finished! I feel like I can't move on to any other projects, fun or otherwise, until we get this one done. I feel guilty pressuring Clint to finish; he would be happy to leave it as is indefinitely. But he will begin traveling soon, when fishing season starts, and I will be home alone amongst the unfinished projects, feeling irritated.

So last weekend Clint installed the tile around the new jacuzzi tub, and started to build concrete forms for the front porch. I spackled and sanded the door casings to prep them for painting.

This weekend Clint poured the concrete front porch (I got to help, wearing rubber boots in 10 inches of wet concrete, shoveling and pushing the stuff into place!) Saturday, and Sunday he started to build the front columns that hold up the entry roof. Saturday I grouted the tile after helping with the concrete(Clint helped me grout when he was done with concrete). Sunday I painted eleven door casings.

Clint was amazing. That guy can really build. It's hard not to be impressed with someone who knows what they are doing. And I know I'm so lucky because he can make this beautiful place for us. I'm jealous, too, because his efforts create this big, admirable structure, while my painting project, which kept me working about three hours longer than him, results only in white door casings. It's definitely the worst task I've undertaken since we started the remodel. Boring, time consuming, and not a visible change, yet still necessary. I would have put it off, but we hope to begin installing the wood trim soon, and it would be a nightmare to have to tape off the trim to paint the casings.

Next weekend we are supposed to start either the floor (wood? vinyl? laminate? we don't know) or the wood trim (doors, window sills, and baseboards), but we haven't purchased materials for ether project yet...

No comments: