Thursday, June 29, 2006

Gardening Frenzy

It's so hard to spend only a few hours in the garden. I always find so many things I want to work on. I so rarely get a chance to work out there, and it feels so good to be outside!

Sunday, after a 6 mile run, I stayed outside to putter in the garden while I was cooling off. I never stopped. 10 hours later, I was wiped out, but happy. So what if I felt like I had been run over, or was 80 years old?! So what if my body ached from head to toe from digging, dragging, bending and weeding?!! I had finished all the gardening "wish I could do"s that I could think of, and was happy.

I admit it, I'm carried away. I think I might be taking the garden too far. I've extended so far beyond the sprinklers Clint installed for me that I'm back to dragging hoses and worrying about remembering to water before my plants get killed by the heat. And I'm playing with a number of new species for me; that can be tricky because they may need to be moved a time or two before I find the spot in the garden that they like best. And my family keeps bugging me about the poppies. Yes, they are a dishevelled mess, and cover the pathway so it's impassable. I don't care. I like being able to look at them from my bathroom window.

Maybe it's ok to be carried away. It sure makes me happy to see what I've grown. I think the birds like it, too.

No comments: