Thursday, June 29, 2006

Movie Mania

I couldn't resist the free month of video rentals, so I decided to give Netflix a try. I was skeptical. When I want to watch a movie, I don't want to have to wait around for it, and who wants to hassle with dropping them in the mail, postage paid envelope or not?

I was wrong. We've had such fun developing our queues and rating movies to see what recommendations will pop up. In fact, we've had too much fun. Trying to watch a movie a couple of times a week was getting way too challenging for me. After the trial month was over, I failed to change the membership in time, and so we paid for a second month at the 3 movies at at a time rate. This worked well for us, since Shelby, Rhiannon and I each had a queue and particular movies we were interested in watching. And it's a great deal, working out to about a dollar per movie if we return the movies promptly.

This month we stepped our membership down to the 2 movies at a time rate, and will alternate who gets to choose the movie. Shelby is on an anime' kick, and is watching as many as she can, since they can be hard to come by at the library or the video store. Rhiannon likes contemporary comedies as well as an interesting mix of other genres.

Some of my favorites of the last two months were; The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio, Zathura, Fahrenheit 9/11, The Family Stone, and Tea with Mussolini. Now that Cint is back I will try to find movies we can watch together; next we will check out the new Harrison Ford movie Firewall, and after that Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, both of which were recommended by my brother.

No comments: