Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ssssss

I ran over a rattlesnake.

I was out for my run, wearing my dark sunglasses, so I didn't even realize a snake was right in front of me until I was only a step away. Propelled by my forward momentum, it was just easier to keep running. I've never had a fear of snakes, and we've found so many bull snakes on our property, it never occured to me to be cautious. It didn't move as a ran over it, so I slowed and turned around, lifting my sunglasses to get a better look. Is it dead, or was it only a stick?, I thought as I took a step towards it.

He lifted his head in caution as I stepped his way, and without my sunglasses I got a good look at his unmistakable, triangular viper head. What a shock! Fortunately, he was only interested in getting away from me, and when I moved no closer, he went on his way, off the road and into the brush.

Just today I got an email regarding a child bitten by a rattlesnake at Crow Butte, complete with photos. Boy, talk about a nasty injury. I feel pretty lucky now, since I stepped within 3-4 inches of, and right over, his tail.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I once had a friend that worked in the country as a noctious weed investigator. She pee'd on a rattlesnake once. LOL She had to go, squated and then when she turned around to get her pants on was eye to eye with a very surprised snake. LOL he slithered off as quick as possible and she ran the other way as well.

Melonary said...

Glad you survived the encounter!