Saturday, October 14, 2006

Driving Lessons

It's pretty weird sitting in the passenger seat while your child is in the driver's seat. It's amazing how grown up she looks.

I don't really feel qualified to teach someone to drive. It's pretty hard to explain how to think about a dozen different --- but equally important --- things, all at the same time. I'm trying to keep myself from explaining too much, since that seems to be my normal pattern. But then it will seem like I'm not explaining enough, which is definitely not good.

When I enrolled her in Driving School, I figured there was plenty of time to get out on the road driving, a little at a time. But she has to take 4 drives with the instructor, and she wanted to get some time in on the road before getting in the car with him.

I'm awfully proud of her for being so determined and sticking it out, even though I suspect at times she's not enjoying it (I hated Driver's Ed in school, and ended up not getting my license until I was 18 because driving was too intimidating). I don't want her to feel forced into it, though I think it will make dance classes and CBC easier next year.

My hope is that if we start early, she will have so much practice that she won't feel so uncomfortable a year from now.

No comments: