Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Neah Bay


(This post is from August 11...I stuck it in drafts and never got back to it...how lame is that?!).

We had a great time on our vacation at Neah Bay. We did lots of fishing for Sea Bass and other assorted fish. The limit there is 10 fish per person per day, so a family our size can stock up an enormous supply. We brought home about 60-75 pounds of fillets. Each morning at about 5:30, we boated out to sea to take advantage of the early morning bite

Rhiannon got seasick the first day, and stayed at camp with extended family after that. I did fine the first few days, but got seasick on the third day. I managed to keep fishing, but decided to sleep in the last two mornings and let others do the fishing. Shelby and Gillian were into the fishing...they kept Clint so busy netting their fish, he had a hard time keeping his own pole in the water!

The weather was quite cool (55-65), but we packed accordingly so it wasn't bad. Now that we're back in the heat, I kinda miss the cold!

The kids all loved exploring the tidepools and rock climbing near the shore. We had some great finds, like a purple starfish in the process of consuming a mussel. Tamzin and her younger cousins spent hours playing in the sand. She and Gillian played in the water all day too, in spite of a water temp of about 49-55 degrees. Clint and I got to go kayaking a few times, which was my favorite part of the trip. It's a great way to sightsee, and thrilling to be on the (almost) open ocean.

We also visited a Makah Indian Museum, and took a hike through the forest to the "most northwest point of the Continental US". It was so beautiful, but I didn't get any pictures, because I left my camera behind at camp :(

The best news about the trip is that I managed to keep up my running schedule, only missing one day. I've never been able to keep up an exercise routine while on vacation before, so I'm pretty excited. It was fun running in a new place; I did some exploring, got some private time, and got to see Neah Bay from a different view.

2 comments:

Melonary said...

What a great vacation!

Dawn said...

Love the pictures!