Monday, December 27, 2004

Computer Improvements

I installed Windows XP, MS Office, Publisher, and Norton AV on my old computer. I am trying to get it up to speed so someone will want to use it now and then, instead of having a waiting line to the new one. I decided to install XP because for no reason the old computer stopped recognizing the new one on the network. Very frustrating. The connections were still there, because it could get to the internet, and the new computer could recognize the old. But short of calling the tech out again (for $60 minimum) it occured to me that with Windows XP, the network wizard would get things running with a minimum of effort, and I know with that I could muddle through on my own. I also had to have XP to run my version of Office and Publisher, so it seemed like the best way to go.

Of course, after installing, everything was fine, and then for no reason the wireless adapter completely stopped working. Tech support at D-Link was incredibly rude, for the first time ever. They said the slot must be bad. So I uninstalled the drivers, had Tech Clint open up the computer and move the adapter to the one remaining slot, reinstalled the drivers, and...nothing. Called D-Link again, got a much nicer tech who said sometimes the connection disables itself for no reason. He explained how to enable it again, and I was good to go.

Clint was grumpy about the computer problem. He thinks the solution is to go a wired network. I am convinced this will work. We just have to be persistent. Eventually I will know all the things that can go wrong with it, and the fixes for them.

No comments: