Monday, December 13, 2004

The Nutcracker Ballet

I love the ballet. Someday I'd like to take the girls to Seattle to see the ballet there. I used to go when I lived in San Francisco. It was wonderful. So beautiful, and magical. It always left me feeling enthralled.

I love being able to take the girls to the Nutcracker here in town. It's such a fun story, one they can relate to well. I think that's the best way to learn to appreciate a fine art like the ballet. Have it tell a story that means something to you. The fact that it's familiar to them helps to make it meaningful. Our friend Lorena Perkins and her brother Casey were in the ballet, too, so it was fun to see them perform.

When it was over, Tamzin said "But what about the Little Red Hen? I thought the Little Red Hen happened at the end?"

She was remembering The Dance Class's production of Nursery Rhymes from a couple of years ago! She was very disappointed when I tried to explain to her that The Nutcracker doesn't have a Little Red Hen!

No comments: